Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy is Still Awesome on Second Viewing



When I really enjoy a movie, I will watch it multiple times.  That is why I have as many movies on DVD and Blu-ray as I do.  I usually only see a movie in the theater once, but I am willing to see some movies more than once while in the theater.  So far, the most I have gone to the theater to see a movie is four times for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.  Over the years, I have seen several movies twice at the theater.  I haven’t done it as often in the last few years, partly because of opportunity and partly because there weren’t as many movies I was interested in seeing at the theater twice.  Earlier in the week, I decided to see Guardians of the Galaxy again.

I absolutely loved Guardians of the Galaxy when I saw it on opening day.  The movie is fun and entertaining with a great soundtrack. Probably within a day of seeing the movie, I was thinking about trying to go see it again.  I ended up waiting until Tuesday because I was going to have several hours in between two work related classes and I didn’t want to make two trips into the office.  If that hadn’t been happening, I think I would have gone again on Monday. 

There weren’t as many people there the second time, but it was a decent amount for early afternoon, especially considering it was a 3D showing.  For whatever reason, there are only two show times at the local theater for Guardians of the Galaxy that aren’t in 3D.  The very first showing every day is discounted even more on top of the matinee price, so there could have been more at that time - I missed that showing because of the first class.  Everyone in the theater seemed to really enjoy the movie - all of us stayed through the credits for the extra scene.  Yes I had already seen it, but I wanted to see it again too. 

I noticed a few more things here and there that I had missed the first time I saw the movie.  I noticed how Yondu’s mohawk turns red at times, especially when he is using his whistle controlled arrow.  I paid more attention to one character when he turned up because I figured out from reading the credits the first time that Nathan Fillion did the voice for that character.  The voice really sounds nothing like Fillion.  I noticed more cool things with the special effects, including with the 3D.  Since there weren’t as many people there, I was able to hear a few lines that I had missed previously thanks to the laughter of the audience.  I did notice the one character from the scene after the credits earlier in the movie - no I’m not saying who it is.  The character in question can be seen in the background when the main characters go to see the Collector.  There isn’t a closeup of the character or anything like that.  It is really just a silhouette, but that is enough to make it clear who it is.

Guardians of the Galaxy holds up very well on a second viewing.  I enjoyed the movie just as much as I did the first time.   Honestly, I would be see it in the theater again if I got the chance.  I would even pay the higher price for a 3D showing again.  This is one of the most entertaining movies I’ve seen in a long time.  I will definitely be adding this to my movie collection.

This review is part of elvisdo’s 7th Annual Funny Pages Write off.

No comments:

Post a Comment