Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Down Periscope

I first saw Down Periscope in the theater years ago.  I’ve seen it several more times over the years and I still enjoy it.

The plot for Down Periscope is rather simple and definitely silly.  This isn’t a movie to take seriously in any way.  A few complications do pop up over the course of the movie, but that still doesn’t make the movie complicated.  The plot probably isn’t that realistic, but it does end up being entertaining overall. 

I find Down Periscope funny, but the humor may not appeal to some viewers.  Most of what is done for humor, along with the plot in general, is more silly than anything.  I enjoy the movie when I’m in the mood for a silly movie.  Things are probably too silly for some people.  I can understand some people not liking the movie, but I don’t think it is as bad as some people have thought it was over the years.  I think it works as an entertaining comedy and is worth seeing for people in the mood for a funny movie.

There is a somewhat large group of different or even odd characters in Down Periscope.  Just about all of the characters have some sort of quirk that makes them different in some way.  Those quirks help to make the movie more entertaining.  The cast all does well with their parts.  I’m fairly sure that this movie was intended to help Kelsey Grammer start a movie career, but things didn’t work out that way.  He hasn’t had much luck with most of the projects he’s tried that haven’t involved Frasier. 

Down Periscope is available on DVD.  I picked it up for about $5 and I’m glad I did.  There aren’t any extras on the DVD. 

Down Periscope is an entertaining comedy that I think is worth watching.  It may be too silly for some viewers.

I did get a longer review posted on Epinions.

Down Periscope

No comments:

Post a Comment